The Hired Guns are seeking a versatile Assistant Editor with outstanding writing chops to join the dynamic editorial team at a non-profit that’s transforming the American education system through solutions-based journalism.
Salary range: $50,000 to $67,000 per year
The Nitty Gritty
The backstory on the company and why they need to hire you!
- This influential foundation/media site is spearheading a movement to transform American education via solutions-based journalism—by telling stories of what’s working in schools, and what’s not.
- To deliver on this mission, they’re looking for an Assistant Editor—preferably with some journalism experience—who loves writing and is passionate about creating compelling stories that showcase innovation in America’s learning.
- As Assistant Editor, you’ll be responsible for day-to-day editorial production: pitching, writing, researching, editing, and reporting on story ideas, as well as assisting on building pages in the CMS.
- Versatility is key in this role: One day you’ll write short video scripts, another you’ll repurpose existing content, taking an article and turning it into an Instagram carousel—you get the point.
How you’ll know if you’re a fit…
- Most importantly, we’re looking for someone with excellent journalistic writing skills (note, you must have a writing portfolio to be considered).
- Passion for the written word in all its forms is paramount, as is an interest in illuminating and showcasing successful schools and educational trends in America.
- It’s great if you have an established background in journalism, but it’s not a deal breaker. Perhaps you’ve just got your Masters in journalism, or maybe you cut your teeth at a local newspaper or public radio station and are ready for the next step in your career.
- Regardless, you know how to operate in a fast-paced newsroom environment (you can pitch and research a story on the fly and quickly turn it around).
- Basic understanding of analytics tools, social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, etc.), and experience with Google tools (Drive, Docs, Presentation, Sheets, etc.) are a must.
- Oh, and you’re a really nice human who is excited to be mentored by incredible colleagues and to join a talented editorial team at a mission-driven organization.
The Inside Skinny
Why you should quit your job right now and join this team!
If you’re looking for a role that allows you to live your life outside of work (no late newsroom hours or working on weekends), but then come to work and be an Assistant Editor for a mission-driven company, then this is the gig for you! (And their benefits package is super-competitive!)
The Hired Guns does not and will not discriminate in considering and referring candidates for employment, or in its treatment or advancement of its employees, and will not tolerate harassment, on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.