The Hired Guns are seeking a User Experience Researcher with three or more years of experience to optimize the web, mobile, voice, and connected devices ecosystem of a news network. Come help build an internal, cross-functional, user-centered product with room and flexibility for future development.
The Nitty Gritty
The backstory on the organization and why they need to hire you!
This news network is an institution, but this role is a nascent innovation in an ongoing project that will increasingly define its multimedia infrastructure. It confers at all levels to target first-strike areas of impact, then A/B tests (followed by multivariate testing of) all products — if it has an internet connection, it’s your purview.
When the data are in, you’ll gaze into their depths, rapidly analyzing findings hard and soft. You can connect smartphone features coming in 2021 to the architecture going up today. Projecting current and down-the-road requirements, you’ll plot an alterable course (your dev team and content producers are users to keep in mind as well).
What success looks like in your first year…
- Define, develop, and demonstrate best practices for your department and other teams to confidently enact.
- Change doesn’t happen quickly in Atlas-sized organizations. You’ll help speed up the rate of improvement, but need patience and empathy to deal with siloed teams. Can you make room at the table without flipping it over?
- You’ll need to delineate some boundaries and outposts. Sure, the HQ is your outward-facing duties, but you’ll need to create, alter, or delete the systems and processes that connect you to the internal workings.
How you’ll know if you’re a fit…
You’re mindful of customer needs and limitations engaging with unfamiliar interfaces. Your brain projects a heads-up display above the product, examining the least change for larger effects on the user experience. User research and design research are your twin tools for synthesizing the best digital product on all sides, and for these, you prefer Qualtrics, OptimalSort, and userresearch.com.
One outgrowth of UX is how much camaraderie matters to you: eliminating snags and communicating in a fulfilling collaboration. You love working with a user experience design team, getting hyped for their ability to turn ideas into reality. You stay aware of that reality, knowing sometimes deadlines and requirements mean a product of compromise is better than a perfect one — provided it does what it’s meant to do. Speed is a priority to you, but so is accuracy.
Tell Me About a Time When …
The interview questions you need to rock to score a “swipe right”…
- What’s the primary role of UX Research within a digital product team?
- When have your biggest strengths directly improved a project?
- When has your research swayed a product and design decision? What KPIs changed?
The Inside Skinny
Why you should quit your job right now and join this organization!
This is a brand-new team dedicated to terraforming a vast landscape of multimedia news, and your input early on could drastically optimize its efforts. It’s a technical job seeking its heart: a UX researcher who can inspire and energize a team of user experience designers.
The Hired Guns does not and will not discriminate in considering and referring candidates for employment, or in its treatment or advancement of its employees, and will not tolerate harassment, on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.