The Hired Guns are seeking a Director of Product Analytics who can haul in e-tail activations by the truckload for a major e-commerce retailer. If working for a Top-Ten name in online shopping sounds good to you, we’d love to hear from you. (Relocation package available.)
The Nitty Gritty
The backstory on the organization and why they need to hire you!
This company needs someone who can jump on the moving train of a high-volume (think top 10 in America) e-commerce product analytics team. This job is first and foremost a people-management position, overseeing data gathering and management, developing insights, and working with the product team to implement data-driven optimizations to the e-commerce experience on both mobile and web.
What success looks like in your first year…
- Very quickly, get the lay of the land in terms of the existing product analytics playbook and learn the ropes on all existing processes.
- Work with the VP of Analytics to help build out a team of analysts to drive repeatability and scalability throughout the organization.
- Once the product analytics team is running at full speed, devise an innovation roadmap to optimize the website and app experiences.
How you’ll know if you’re a fit…
You have experience managing a team of at least seven people, and your current role is somewhere in the range of senior manager up to senior director. The important thing is how finely you’ve tuned your people management skills and player/coach experience. Strong communicators are the only people who can do this job, relating what needs to happen and why, while also listening to input from the trenches. Not only can you coach and mentor your team, you’re also able to jump in and get your hands dirty when necessary.
You’re a business-oriented, roll-up-your sleeves type, who would never ask a team member to do something you wouldn’t do yourself…but also trust them to do it better than you could.
You have the ability to preside over multiple categories, in this case Personalization/Monetization, OmniChannel, Checkout and Payments.
You have years of experience with digital analytics tools, ideally Adobe Analytics, and have used them to make positive changes in product.
Tell Me About a Time When …
The interview questions you need to rock to score a “swipe right”…
- What is your proudest achievement in e-commerce analytics? What problems were you trying to solve, what methods did you use to research and report on those problems, and how did you communicate with stakeholders to set an action plan based on your insights? How did those actions lead to more customers in the funnel?
- What kind of team are you running at the moment? How many direct reports do you have, and what is your interaction with them on a day-to-day basis? Describe a scenario in which you were able to get in the weeds and assist your team in a technical and tactical way.
- How have you helped build a data-driven culture in your organization? Describe a scenario in which you’ve acted as a thought leader to push the business forward. How did you make your case to executive leadership, and what were the results?
The Inside Skinny
Why you should quit your job right now and join this organization!
The immediate benefits of joining this team are obvious. It’s a chance to join the rare hybrid of a venerable brand that is also a top ten e-commerce player. More specifically for product analytics, your new employer is investing big in data as a means of becoming a top innovator in retail that can compete with the most tech-forward companies. Building that data rocketship for a brand like this will offer opportunities to experiment and shape the future of retail.
The Hired Guns does not and will not discriminate in considering and referring candidates for employment, or in its treatment or advancement of its employees, and will not tolerate harassment, on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.