The Hired Guns are seeking a Principal of Database Marketing for a left-leaning, full-service digital strategy, data, and communications firm with offices in Washington, DC and NYC. This highly influential leader in the field needs an analyst from the worlds of marketing and/or politics, who works independently to create end-to-end solutions.
The Nitty Gritty
The backstory on the organization and why they need to hire you!
This company needs a mid-level data practitioner who can bring autonomy, repeatability, and scalability to their existing data offerings. You will provide end-to-end solutions for clients, particularly as they relate to database management. You will also visualize that data in Tableau to create assets for various campaigns.
What success looks like in your first year…
- Take the reins for existing database marketing services while gaining a better understanding of this company’s culture, clients and problem sets.
- Institutionalize a process for database marketing solutions from requirements gathering to client asset creation.
- Begin to evolve in the role according to your strengths, whether it’s driving innovation in terms of data management processes, or participating more in the client-facing side of things.
How you’ll know if you’re a fit…
You’re a top expert at creating solutions around large data sets using SQL, including client CRMs, as well as voter engagement databases such as HaystaqDNA and Civis. You can run scripts in your sleep, and Tableau is your go-to for data points.
You’re a data analyst, marketing analyst, or a senior analyst already. You don’t need to have experience with a political organization, but it helps, and you should believe in progressive principles enough to commit to realizing them in your work. Agency experience is a top priority.
You can meet the challenge of a role that has high visibility and importance within the organization. As the beating heart of database marketing at this company, you will need to be able to balance multiple campaigns at a time and have a sense of urgency and cohesiveness when creating client solutions. While the role may not be immediately client-facing, you should have the gravitas and business acumen to approach that down the road.
Tell Me About a Time When …
The interview questions you need to rock to score a “swipe right”…
- How are you using SQL and Tableau in your current role? What types of databases are you looking at, what queries are you using, and what problems are you trying to solve? Describe an example in which you provided an end-to-end database solution.
- How does your role fit within the context of your organization as a whole and who are your stakeholders? Describe your ability to work autonomously on multiple projects simultaneously.
- This company is a mission-based organization that focuses on left-leaning political initiatives. What is your interest in, or experience with, this sort of work?
The Inside Skinny
Why you should quit your job right now and join this organization!
This role affords the right candidate an opportunity to be on the ground floor in the strategic planning around the entire client base, which tackles some of the most pressing social initiatives in the country and the world. In a role with high visibility and priority, you’ll have ownership over the data solutions that fuel each campaign. You will also have the chance to introduce new efficiencies and optimizations, giving you a place to hone your strategic capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit.
The Hired Guns does not and will not discriminate in considering and referring candidates for employment, or in its treatment or advancement of its employees, and will not tolerate harassment, on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (including gender identity and expression), sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.